Friday, September 9, 2011

Mount Hope


I noticed this set first over the winter, when they were partially buried by snow. A really nice design. This one has a poem by Emily Bronte. I must say that Elizabeth Hollister Frost Blair seems like an extremely cold and noble name.

Vi esta serie de lápidas por primera vez durante el verano, cuando estaban parcialmente cubiertas por la nieva. Tienen un diseño muy bueno. Ésta tiene un poema por Emily Bronte. Tengo que mencionar que Elizabeth Hollister Frost Blair parece un nombre extremadamente frío y noble.



This is another from the same family and same set of stones. I searched online for these words and it turns out they are by Robert Browning. The font is really interesting, I don't think I've seen this kind of font before anywhere, especially not gravestones.

Ésta es de la misma familia y de la misma serie. Busqué online para descubrir de dónde venían estas palabras y resulta que son de Robert Browning. La fuente es interesante, no creo que haya visto este tipo de fuente en ninguna parte, en particular en las lápidas.


A detail


This is from another set of gravestones entirely, but I thought it was very striking. What's the symbolism of the clubs I wonder?

Esto es de una otra series por completo, pero me llamó mucho la atención. El texto dice algo como "fiel hasta la muerte." Por la palabra "unto," que es un poco arcaico, y por su brevedad, la frase me suena contundente y trágico. Me pregunto sobre el simbolismo de los tréboles.


This stood out to me. I thought Gestirn meant stars, and I was trying to remember the other words. I thought, Rast, from rasten, to rest, and Hast, like the English word haste. My instincts were sound, this is what it means: "Like the star, without haste but without rest." I was thinking it was Rilke, I must have been thinking of the short poem that begins "Wie das Gestirn, der Mond, erhaben, voll Anlaß..." but actually that poem was written 1913 (anyway, Rilke probably just jumped to mind because Rilke is the only German poetry I have ever read). I searched online and it turns out the lines are from Goethe.

Ésta también me llamó la atención. Creí que Gestirn quería decir estrellas, y intentaba acordarme de las otras palabras. Pensé, Rast, de rasten, "descansar" (en inglés es to rest), y Hast, como la palabra inglesa haste, o "prisa." Mis instintos eran solidos, y esto es lo que quiere decir: "Como la estrella, sin prisa pero sin reposo." Pensaba que era Rilke, debía de estar pensando en el poema corto que empieza, "Wie das Gestirn, der Mond, erhaben, voll Anlaß..." pero en realidad ese poema fue escrito en 1913 (de todas formas, Rilke probablemente me vino a la mente porque Rilke es el único poeta germanoparlante que he leído en mi vida). Busqué online y resulta que las lineas son de Goethe.


This used to be my favorite because I found it in high school and thought "Wow! we have a baron!"

Siempre era mi favorita ésta porque la encontré cuando estaba en cole y pensé, "Wow! tenemos un barón!"


Same here, I was pretty surprised to find Bonaparte connections in Rochester. I searched for this guy on Wikipedia. It seems the Bonapartes have an American branch, but I couldn't find anything really interesting about Blanche & Jérome.

Lo mismo aquí, yo me soprendí bastante de encontrar connecciones a los Bonaparte en mi ciudad, Rochester. Busqué por este tipo en Wikipedia. Parece que los Bonaparte tienen una rama americana, pero no pude encontré nada muy interesante sobre Blanche y Jérome.


The Colonel


His epitaph: "Si monumentum requiris, circumspice." If you are seeking a monument, look around you. This is actually the same motto they wrote for Christopher Wren the architect inside St. Paul's Cathedral in London. Not very original, Col. Rochester.

Su epitafio: "Si monumentam requiris, circumspice." Si buscas un monumento, mirar alrededor de tí. En realidad es el mismo lema que escribieron para el arquitecto Christopher Wren dentro de la Catedral de San Pablo en Londres. No muy original, Cnel. Rochester.

No comments:

Post a Comment