Friday, March 23, 2012

Frivolous pop culture

Here's something just for fun. This is a Brazilian song called "Ai se eu te pego" that is incredibly popular here. Its popularity in Spain is based on the fact that Cristiano Ronaldo, the Portuguese soccer star who plays for Real Madrid, celebrated a goal by doing the dance that goes along with the song. And for months this song has been ubiquitous here. Everyone knows it. Little kids know it and sing it. The three-year-olds at my school started singing it all together one time. The truth is that it's a pretty simple and repetitive song.
The point of the song is that the narrator goes to a dance and sees a really hot girl and he's saying "oh, if I get my hands on you" or something of that sort. There is an English translation which says "if I catch you" but I think this sounds weird in English. My Brazilian flatmate, who also speaks American English fluently, insists that in Portuguese it sounds really tame and means something like "If I could hang out with you." The thrusting motions in the song seem to suggest otherwise but who knows.
I'm not really sure if this song is popular in the US. I sent the video to my sister and she seemed a little baffled. "What is this song? This video is weird, there are just like a thousand women singing the same song." On the other hand the statistics on youtube show that people in the US have been watching it. (The official video has 246 million views, and that's not including all the other unofficial ones.)




No comments:

Post a Comment