Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Frankfurter Tor



One of my friends told me this is his favorite Berlin view. This is the Frankfurter Tor (Frankfurt Gate) on Frankurter Allee (it is so called because it would lead you from Berlin to the town of Frankfurt an der Oder) in the neighborhood of Friedrichshain, in the Southeast. In the center you can see the Fernsehturm (TV tower). This architecture is from the Communist period, I guess this was their marquee beautification project. Past the "Tor" the name of the street is actually still Karl-Marx-Allee.

Unfortunately I neglected to take pictures of the streets of Friedrichshain--because once you get off this big avenue, it has that small-streets-small-shops ambiance that is so pleasant. I guess one of my projects ought to be to take pictures of more mundane things--the streets of Prenzlauerberg, Kreuzberg, Friedrichshain, and  all those other districts of the city that are justly loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment